Salony Luthra is an Indian actress who has worked in versatile roles and made a significant impact by working in Tamil, Telugu and Hollywood movies. She has also participated in several theatre works, stage and street plays. Her lead debut was made with Tamil language film Sarabham in which she paired with Naveen Chandra . She also bagged international projects and worked in Hollywood movies Turned out and Forbidden. She made her mark in movie industry by her top notch performance with every film that she did.
Salony Luthra was born on 11 June in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
Though she was born in Shimla but her parents resided in New Delhi which made her spent a lot of time growing up there. She pursued International Business from a London University but still her path was predestined as she had an infinite charisma for acting . She actively participated in theatre work and street plays in New Delhi which refined her acting skills and framed her into a fine actor.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 58
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Her father name is Siddharth Raj Luthra. She has one younger brother.
Salony Luthra worked as a theatre artist in various street plays and stage shows. Back in 2017, She performed No Time for Love in Gaiety Theatre Shimla. She also acted in a Hindi language remake of the novel Blackbird by David Harrower which was directed by Himanshu Kohli and Prashant Kumar which was acted by her and theatre artist Swanand Kirkire.
Talking about her experience she said-
Theatre is the best place to hone your acting skills”. “It’s a two-actor play — quite tough to get into the skin of the character”.
In the year 2014,she made her debut with the Tamil thriller movie Sarabham in which she played a double role, one of a drug addict other of a normal girl.
In 2016,She also featured in a short film Oliyum Oliyum where she played the role of a blind girl. In the year 2017, with the release of her short film Kajal in which she played the role of a mute Indian wife who is harassed in workspace and abused by her husband too. In 2018,She worked in Hollywood movies Turned Out in which she played a Latino Spanish girl and Forbidden in which she bagged a role of an Indian origin American student .
In 2020,she starred in the Telegu movie Bhanumathi Ramakrishna opposite Naveen Chandra which was based on a romantic drama concept.
Salony Luthra also worked in a TV commercial with the jewelry brand Bluestone in the year 2018.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- 2014:Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards-Best Villain — Female for Sarabham.
- 2017: 6th Bangalore short film festival-Best actress for Kajal.
- Among 25 best performances of 2020 of south cinema, Salony Luthra’s Bhanumathi Ramakrishna bagged 18th position.
- Actor: Will Smith( Hollywood), Ranbir Kapoor (Bollywood), Mahesh Babu (Tollywood)
- Family member: Grandparents
- Salony Luthra is a big foodie of all time. She usually likes to try new cooking recipes often.In an interview she said-
I am very chatori. Right from rajma chawal to chole kulche to the street food of Lajpat Nagar and Mandi House, I have tried everything. I miss the street food of Delhi when I am away,” laughs the 26-year-old”.
- Salony is also a fitness enthusiast and is always eager to be regular in the gym sessions.
- She likes to travel and explore different adventurous places.
- For adapting the character of drug addict in the movie Sarabham, Salony even smoked on screen for the role. She said-
It (smoking) was not my cup of tea but in order to showcase the different shades of the two non-identical roles I played, I had to get the hang of smoking,”
- Salony is a certified Scuba driver.
- Salony Luthra did not belong to a acting background family as no one ever acted in her family.
- Salony Luthra has a YouTube channel under her own name with 600 subscribers where she likes to post about cooking recipes and live sessions with fans answering their queries.
- Salony’s short film Oliyum Oliyum went on to premier at Chicago South Asian Film Festival in 2017 and gained massive applause.
- Salony Luthra’s short film Kajal had a world premiere at NYIFF (New York Indian Film Festival) in the year 2017 which gave her enormous recognition .Her overwhelming response to this was-
I believe I am blessed and lucky to be a part of projects which are socially relevant and message oriented. The popularity of short films stems from the fact that a strong message can be conveyed in a shorter time. Short films today have a wider reach since the viewership among audiences involved is higher. Many directors in Bollywood & internationally too are venturing into the short film space. And by sending such films to be premiered at festivals, they get a recognition which would eventually help the film reach a wider set of audience worldwide.”
- Her American film Forbidden had a NY premiere at NYIFF (New York Indian Film Festival) in the year 2018.
- In 2015, Salony accepted ALS Ice Bucket challenge.
- After the release of Salony’s debut movie Sarabham, people started resembling her looks with Hollywood star Angelina Jolie and titled her as ‘Angelina Jolie of Tamil cinema’.
- If not acting , Salony’s alternate career choice would have be to make ice creams or to be a travel explorer.
- Salony loves to meditate by either putting on chant music or vibing with nature.